Acorns Sahara Desert Trek 2010 - Preperation and Sahara Desert Trek Experience

Acorns Sahara Desert Trek 2010 - Preperation and Sahara Desert Trek Experience
Keep Smiling through the challenges

Tuesday, 18 May 2010

:oO Naughty, naughty......I haven't updated my training journal for ages!!


Right catch up time! and including the truth over the past few weeks I have missed. The training, rest, healthy diet and NO wine or cigarettes was going extremely well. Week commencing 26 April I experienced a blip(s!!) and allowed various negative events to beat my hard work and short lived discipline. Yes I confess after a not so good week I chatted over a bottle of wine, which then resulted to two, with a pal sharing the stories. Socialising with a vino wouldn't be so bad, but it's the smokes that I gave into which I regretted the next day and decided all my good work so far was now void.


My new training programme commenced Saturday 1st May. I decided to continue to increase cardio over the weekend and follow with weights, and various floor exercise my trainer Adrian has shown me. I started to talk and ask questions of others who train regularly for marthons to get tips and ideas. One tip to get the most out of my training, common sense to some but an area I hadn't really researched, was fuelling up on the correct super foods. After reading various guides and recommendations kindly introduced from people who had time to share their knowledge, I discovered some of the foods I avoid, would be top fuel to help me achieve extra time and kms during my training. Another tip was to buy an MP3 player and record some pumping, trance music to further motivate.

Tuesday 4th May I had my second training session with Adrian, my Fitness First trainer. I was greeted with "we are going to step your session up today." FANTASTIC!!! :o$ If you've ever seen the film Bridget Jones Diary, you may recall a scene when Bridget is determind to get fit and in shape after being dumped by Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant). She frantically works out on the gym bike, to the extent her legs give way underneath her when she steps of the bike. After various exercises to work on strenghtening my legs I warned Adrian there was a great possibility I would be re-acting this scene. If the squats, lunges, weight pushes weren't enough I was then instructed to complete 3kms in 6minutes or else there would a forfeit. Now 3kms in the 6min time scale may be a breeze for some, but for me at my current level this was not easy. I think I made it by 1second!!!!! After this my legs no longer felt attached to my body and I was dreading the after affects the next morning.

I'd trained alternative days from my session with Adrian, and overall fairly pleased with my efforts. Sunday 16th May was my best training day so far :o) loved it! After a weekend of trying the super food routine, drinking more water, good rest and treating myself to an MP3 player, I decided to try and push myself further on the cardio machine I dislike the most, the boring horrible treadmill. I keep trying to repeat a mantra to change the dislike of this cardio workout to like. Fast tempo music playing and feeling full of energy I achieved 6kms in 45mins. Again this may be easy for some but I normally just set the timer for 3ominutes and take no notice of the distance completed. I didn't sprint but managed to up my pace each 5 minutes and add an incline upto 3. It was certainly an improvement from the previous Sunday which was 5kms in 42mins with no incline added. I also managed to complete 45mins on alternative cardio machines. I absolutely loved this training session, feeling on top of the world and a spring in my step.
Apart from the change to diet I think an additonal motivator was recording from the old memory bank the good luck wishes and sponsorship received to date. Thanks to all of you who have either financially and or quoted supported, or given time or other forms of help during preparation.


Oh by the way - 3weeks now of not even a sip of wine or one cigarette Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....can I say I'm a non-smoker yet!?

No comments:

Post a Comment