I thought nights in the Sahara Desert were supposed to be cold!? I researched, somewhat, in advance of the trek, picked people's brains and followed the recommendations of the Charity Challenge kit list. A common factor had been the dramatic temperature drop at night. A typical female always feeling the cold, I had focused on packing requirements to deal and cope with this. Fleece skins, sweatshirt and my two/three season sleeping bag had carefully been selected to ensure I had a good night rest not disturbed by cold nights. I was actually concerned if I had packed enough warm wear. The last thing I wanted or needed was sleepless nights affecting my energy and motivation levels during the trek days.
After a restless night, due to heat and anxiety, we all rise at 06:00hrs, to pack, eat breakfast and commence trekking our second day. We have one hour before we start walking, our deadline is scheduled for 07:00hrs. I remember frantically trying to re-pack my rucksack, ready for our Moroccan family to take away to our next camp. Very organised and tidy pre-packing ready for the airport journey had changed to chaotic, confusion and complete wonder of how I had managed to pack various items in one item of baggage! Pack, brush teeth (remember to clean brush and swill out toothpaste with bottled water only), wash face, grab a sweet coffee, bread, cheese and jams, eat, drink, sit and tie trekking bootlaces secure and comfortably! I feel as though everything is a rush for me, to make sure I do not get left behind when the team start to make their first steps into day three. Water rations are handed out. I had the God send of a hydro pack, loaned to me by Kath. A big thank you to Kath, for saving me money and avoiding further expenses to fund this wonderful charity event, and for the ease of having hydration supplies on tap.
We begin to trek our second day on time. The early start time of the day is relatively cool and comfortable. The footings are dry and as we journey onwards we begin to witness the affects the heat has had on desert grounds with the disappearance of rain for so many years. The area we cross, we are told, has become very isolated. Families have moved away due to the desertion of rain. We climb a few sand dunes, it is not overly tasking at this point, but I am already discovering it rings true from fellow supporters there is a skill in walking in Sahara sands. Soft sand changes rather unexpectedly to a dry, hard, broken surface. Jimbo describes this amicable "I feel like I'm treading on hundreds of broken grey chocolate Easter eggs!" Another perfect description I can relate too.
We walk for three or four hours. It is very difficult to remember exact times due to getting lost in ones mind, entering into a hypnotic state as you continually put one foot forward moving slowly into such open, far, never ending grounds with limited, if any, landmarks. Eventually we reach our rest station. Our Moroccan family have pitched up canvas, for us to rest, eat lunch and cool down. I did not feel too bad, but welcomed the break and a chance to take off my boots. I had no idea at this early stage, that routine for breaks and completion of a days trek would be to take off boots before lying down, washing and changing. We have a few hours to rest and enjoy another amazing lunch. Bodies sprawled everywhere trying to take cover and gather thoughts, eat, listen to music, chat, sing and the odd moments of silence.
On the first day of the trek, after settling into our camp, I had suggested "Pee Watch" with a few co-female trekkers. From my Goa travels I had learnt you have to get over the embarrassment of finding a patch to squat to pee, in privacy, and the hope that no uninvited creepy crawly bites you on the butt. Hence I said to the ladies it would be good to go in pairs, hide each other from view and look out for bugs. Due to this suggestion I was asked on a few occasions to accommodate with my recommendation.
Our rest is disturbed when Jason is visited by a beetle, coated in his black and white tuxedo shell. This clumsy beetle trudges straight to him and is greeted by two fingers sharply flicking him away. He travels with the force a distance, but with attitude picks up his little beetle legs and heads straight back to him! We all find this highly amusing and more so when this event is re-acted for 5 takes. Eventually Jason flicks little tux beetle so hard, he spins back, lands on his tux shell and just lies there! I do not like bugs, creepy crawly, monster insect things at all but found I reacted with"awwww you've killed him!" We watch Tuxy. He does not move, the game is over, Jason wins!! However, after Tuxy recovers from mild concussions, he rolls himself over, takes a moment to brace himself, and walks straight back to Jason. This is absolutely comical to see. I think he was given a break and rescued, due to his strength, commitment and bravery, picked up and rested a side to walk the desert for many more days to come.
Ibraham calls the group to prepare for trek continuation. It is time to pull back on trekking boots, make sure we have adequate water supplies, throw the daypack on and start striding to our home base for the night. We rested for a few hours to avoid the heat, but I do not feel a decrease in temperature as we set out. It is VERY hot, no breeze and as expected very very dry. We walk, and walk for a few hours. I find an even pace chatting as we walk with co-trekkers. At times due to a co-trekker stopping to tie a lace, or stop to drink water, I have sole moments of walking alone. This appears to be a similar pattern for all. Some of us start to feel fed up now, although Ibraham tells us we only have twenty minutes to reach camp. Tom, our Charity Challenge guide, whispers to a few, “When Ibraham tells you the time anticipated add at least another hour to the time he gives to the schedule.” Tom is not far off! It definitely takes at least one hour before we arrive to camp.
A repeat pattern occurs, remove daypack, sit down and take off trekking boots, lie on ones thin mattress for a while, trying to cool down. Sit up and drink water, lie down again, wipe the back of your neck, head, drink water and lie down again. We share in conversation the bemusement of how body temperature rises and sweating continues even when we rest! The only way to cool down is to make use of the make shift shower. A barrel of cold water, although this becomes bath water temperature due to the heat, bowl and scoop to pour water over you within the slim canvas tent. I queue up with Rachel, while passing a bowl of water to Maria, to assist her with the cooling and cleaning process. While Maria bathes, we hear a little commotion from camp. Although Rachel and I had noticed a sudden cast appear we were oblivious a sand storm was fast approaching. We continued to chat, Maria continued to wash, until we had to join Maria undercover to avoid the wind and hard hitting sand. We stood laughing, Maria struggling to cover up as the tent is almost blown away. Eventually, we run to a main tent, Maria wrapped in her bath towel. I have no idea why we thought we would not notice the storm merely running to a larger canvas pitch. Our Moroccan family frantically re-hammer in pegs as Canvas ties fly up in the air due to the strength of the wind. I try to sit at the back of our tent, pushing myself in the centre, hoping this will take pressure of the outside main four rope supports.
The storm is very strong and shows no sign of surrender, so our Moroccan family suggest we all gather in the largest tent to eat our evening meal together undercover. We all gather into what is referred to as the “younger girls tent.” It is time to find a pew, and pass food filled plates and cutlery along in a polite order. We are served a Moroccan beef stew, meat falls off the bone to mingle with the tantalising flavours shared with a variety of vegetables. Imagine Gordon Ramsay, gestering a curled hand kiss fingers to lips approval to palate suggestion, this would not be suffice for tonight’s meal. An increadible and again satisfying dinner, under canvas with candle lit latterns, sharing laughter,thoughts and asking questions for the next day of the trekking challenge. After our meal we share banter and discuss as a team the agreed schedule for our next day trekking. A few co-trekkers spill tears due to missing home, various thoughts that have danced to mind, tiredness and adapting to sleeping in the Sahara sands. It seems very early, but we all return to our resting pads at a very respectable hour, knowing we need to rest to complete another trekking day for Acorns Children’s Hospice and our personal sponsors that have supported us on this event.
family
Poor Maria left standing in her towel ! A sand shower not too good at all. Good job you did have bug watch - can you imagine running back with a beetle clasped on your butt. Just hope youve not brought anything creepy back with you.
ReplyDeleteNicola, thanks fo the add. I was actually concerned when unpacking my rucksack. Digging my hand into retrieve washing, I had shudders I would pull out with dirty laundry a camel spider! urggghhh I still shudder thinking of the night I picked up my sleeping bag with a great big camel spider peacefully sat and resting, until I disturbed him....*shudderssssss*
ReplyDelete