Acorns Sahara Desert Trek 2010 - Preperation and Sahara Desert Trek Experience

Acorns Sahara Desert Trek 2010 - Preperation and Sahara Desert Trek Experience
Keep Smiling through the challenges

Sunday, 10 October 2010

Day Five - Mharech (Auberge cafe camp) - Dunes near Mbidi















No sleep, another day trekking and experiencing again the feeling of furnace heat! Our guides have no option but to reduce some of the distance planned, due to the unexpected immense heat, but we completed the required scheduled instructed experiencing more gruelling heat. Although the dunes and sunsets are amazing!

I hardly slept the previous night, due to ‘spiders crawling on me anxiety’ along with the heat. I made the heat situation worse, stubbornly zipping myself tightly and securely, snuggled in-between co-trekkers (for additional security), in my mummy sleeping bag. I refused to help myself by trying to decrease the night’s heat. Wrapped tightly in my 2-3 season sleeping bag, to prevent the nightmare of any hell bugs or spiders crawling on my skin. I baked all night! I fidgeted and tried to stop my mind continually visualising spiders. Hence, I was actually begging for the early start alarm call. Alarm call, at last I thought! The team will be awake soon! I felt shattered and concerned I had damaged my energy levels for the planned trek challenge. I reminded myself it was too late to worry now. I had no options but to go with the flow and motivate myself. I am accustomed to the early morning ritual. Here we go again! See to blisters, replace compeed plaster if necessary and tape feet/plaster to prevent further movement and friction on blisters. Wash and brush teeth, swilling with bottled water only – done. Stuff my clothes in my rucksack and take what I need in my daypack. Collect my rations of water, add my re-hydration tablets to water ratio and fill up hydration pack. Grab some energy food, bread and jam, and swill down as much sweet coffee as possible. The upside of drinking as much sweet coffee as possible is the sugar and caffeine kick. The down side? encouraging more peeing stops, (which is not the best trying to find private pee places and convenient moments.) Next routines are the most important, oh of course except for water rations, tie boots tightly but comfortably and finally slap on the highest factor sun screen.. Here we go, and we’re off to our next camp.

Today was planned with a continual walk, no in-between breaks, as the scheduled was head straight to tonight’s camp and permitted us to casually enjoy, near to camp, some stunning dunes providing another amazing sunset and sunrise. I relished in a half day trek, and at the time thought, this should not be too much of challenge. How wrong one can be. The first two hours are filled with a mixture of light hearted feelings from most, with a contrast of frustration and negative vibes from some. I am feeling relatively mellow, not particularly tested, and greeting an opportunity to chat one to one with a few trekkers I hadn’t had the pleasure of sharing with previously.

The ground is flat, dunes stunningly stand strong either side, as we trek ahead. From capturing the beautiful surroundings, and feeling comfortable for the first two hours walk, I notice my mood drop, the heat playing her games and again trying to prevent me to complete another day’s challenge. It is amazing how you always feel overheated but suddenly it feels like an instant double increase of temperature. I wanted to focus, avoiding verbally negativity around some trekkers, break away and start trekking alone. We captured a few individual and different group photo’s to recall and reflect on after the trek. However, I felt this was the only day I really wanted to trek on my own, away from the group. At the time I had no idea why I felt so strongly to be on my own. I was sharing an experience with many like minded, strong characters and caring people. I recall needing sole time, feeling rather emotional but had no idea that thoughts and feelings were waiting to kick in later that evening.

Breaking away from individuals or groups, I walk as close as possible to the camels who trudge slowly and effortlessly, oblivious that they could be rescue vehicles and are comforting anchors of support. I try to steal from their shadows. To help me feel a small moving shelter from the sun. I walk with caution to avoid any kicks from them, due to invading their space. Whilst trying to absorb as much as possible the shade their moving figures spill.

Ibraham, our Moroccan guide, had travelled most of today’s trek on camel back. He was still feeling quite weak and ill because of fasting for religious reasons. He turned around to check on the group, to view and ensure no one was far behind. He must have noticed me walking very close to the camels and guides, with nothing but negative body language. He offered a few times “do you want a rest and break by taking a camel ride to camp?” I continually, with a stiff upper lip British manner, politely thanked him but declined. He tried to encourage me, pointing out the camp ahead, which I could not see. The camp was at least another two hours walking distance. Ibraham, as always, tried to motivate by convincing me it was within thirty minutes (Moroccan time!).

I tried to pick up my pace, reflecting on my mental attitude the previous “rocky horror day, ” When I was an inch away from climbing into the rescue jeep. I thought of motivating music. The music I listened to during my Sunday miles and miles of training and commitment. It was time to use my MP3. I had charged it to the max and saved it for a difficult day. One particular track I had used to motivate me and prepare for this challenge was Ritchie Lawrence’s funked up version “Laurence d’Arabie.” An amazing track, modernising, and bringing up to beat the sound track from the original film “Laurence of Arabia.” I find every note romantic, passionate, lifting, energising and providing the feeling of contentment every time I listen to it. The music made my mind travel, whirling up various visions, mystery and magical fantasy and reinforced positive emotions. I trek while sorting through my MP3 player to find this piece of stunning music. The song starts. I feel an instant inspirational lift and drive. All’s good. I am walking in the Sahara Desert, listening to “Laurence d’Arbie” with my eyes scanning and blinking to capture memory photographs. I feel on top of the world. What an experience, HEAVEN, visually, auditory and kineasetic. Nothing can discourage me now!

Or can it? My MP3 suddenly stops, due to the power running out. I realised from this failing how important it is to have a variety of anchoring modalities to change negative and challenging thoughts. The auditory modality I had carefully preserved, although the sell by date came unexpectedly. This unfortunate back up reliance, resulted in a mood drop ten fold. I am trying to pick up my motivation, by reflecting on sponsors and children at Acorn’s hospice. But, no matter how hard I try the heat seems to melt away words and pictures in my mind. My mood has become basically peed off..

I did manage to complete the schedule. I was truly heat overwhelmed. I think I went into a hypnotic state, walking and continuing the in head battle with the quitter and determination character. I remember hearing applause from a few trekkers who arrived at base earlier, and those who helped to set up camp, due to opting out of today’s trek for sickness reasons. I threw myself under the canvas and with delight removed my trekking boots. Sobbing a little, (for some reason?) although trying to hide it. Jimbo caught me aggressively wiping a tear away from my fisted hand forced with an angry forearm across my face. He gave me a reassuring shoulder squeeze and hug saying “good stuff, well done!”

No comments:

Post a Comment